Introduction to Landscaping program
The Introduction to Landscaping program from the Master Landscapers of South Australia (MLSA) offers a 9 week intensive program to help people start their career in the landscaping profession.
Delivered in partnership with TAFE and supported by the Government of South Australia, participants undertake 3 accredited units from the Certificate III in Landscape Construction at no cost.
Through the program, MLSA works with participants and employers to help develop the foundation skills necessary for a successful apprenticeship with a landscaping business.
I’m interested in becoming a Landscape apprentice
What the program gives you
Support to find a landscape apprenticeship
- We will work with you to help you find an apprenticeship with a master landscape business.
Training at no cost
- The opportunity to complete 3 accredited units form the Certificate III in Landscape Construction:
- AHCWHS301 – Contribute to work health and safety
- AHCLSC306 – Implement a paving project
- AHCLSC301 – Set out site for construction works
- Optional White Card (or general construction induction card) is required for workers who want to carry out construction work.
- Optional targeted training and information sessions to support your knowledge and help you network within the industry.
Gear at no cost
- The safety gear you need to undertake the training and help be site ready for an apprenticeship.
- The opportunity to get 3 of your 15 units of accredited training out of the way fast meaning you can contribute more on site earlier and spend less time away from site for training later on.
What you need to do
- Attend Urrbrae TAFE for 18 days over 9 weeks, 2 days per week from the week starting 29th of April 2019.
- Attend an additional 1 day of White Card training if you choose that option.
- Complete the training to the best of your ability.
- Ask for help if you find something difficult. We are here to support you to get through this program and into an apprenticeship.
- Work with us to help us understand what you want out of a career as a landscape professional so we can help put you in touch with the most appropriate business looking for an apprentice.
- Attend interviews with a business that might have an apprenticeship opportunity for you.
Am I guaranteed an apprenticeship?
We do have a lot of MLSA members that are looking for apprentices and we will work hard if you will too to help make things happen.
Register your interest
I’m an MLSA member looking for a landscape apprentice
What the program gives you
Support to find a landscape apprentice
- We will work with you to help you hand-pick an apprentice that suits your business.
Service at no cost
- Any service we provide to you through the Introduction to Landscaping program is covered by your MLSA membership.
- The opportunity to get an apprentice that comes with 3 of their 15 units of accredited training out of the way means they can contribute more on site earlier and spend less time away training later on.
- Assistance to roll participant into a formal training contract.
What you need to do
If you already have an employee you want to offer an apprenticeship to, or you sign someone up to a training contract before or during the program.
- Release them to attend Urrbrae TAFE for 18 days over 9 weeks, 2 days per week from the week starting 29th of April 2019. After the initial intensive program time away for site reduces to what is negotiated by you as part of the training contract.
- Release them to attend an additional 1 day of White Card training if you choose that option.
- Talk to them about what they are learning during the training.
- Where appropriate, give them the opportunity to practice what they have learnt and provide guidance and mentoring.
- Hold licences in the areas you will be mentoring an apprentice.
- Become a registered employer to host apprentices with the Department for Industry and skills and get a training contract in place.
If you don’t already have an employee you want to offer an apprenticeship to.
- Work with us to help us understand your business and what you want out of having an apprentice and can offer an apprentice so we can help put you in touch with the most appropriate participant.
- Engage with participants that have been identified to see if you want to offer them a apprenticeship.
Am I guaranteed an apprentice?
We will work hard to try and find the right participant for you.
Get in touch
If you would like to participate in the ‘Introduction to Landscaping’ program either as someone looking for an apprenticeship or a MLSA member looking for a apprentice please get in touch.
Apprenticeships Program Manager
0488 300 272